Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Leftover puree brownies


I admit right away the thought of brownies popped into my head as a selfish desire, not as what I can I hide in them and get away with. But in the interest of my new goal to improve E's foods, and the fact that she loves brownies as much as I do, I came up with this little beauty of a recipe. The brownies are on the fudgy side and taste decadently like strawberries dipped in chocolate.

Fudgy "leftovers puree" brownies

  • 2 cups combined cooked veggie/fruit puree (I used 1/4 c. spinach, 1/2 c. blueberries, 1 c. applesauce, 1/4 strawberries; basically pureed a bunch of leftovers getting close to their end date)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I used brown, not packed)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8 square baking pan with cooking spray or oil or butter. (I prefer butter)
2. Put all ingredients except flour in food processor and blend until smooth. Place in bowl and stir in flour. 
3 Pour into baking pan. Bake for 35 to 40  minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack. Cool to room temperature, then cut into 2 inch squares. 
4. Have one without guilt.  :) 

No comments:

Print button