Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Toast

I found this recipe on Parenting.com's 10 Sandwiches for Picky Eaters. Now usually Parenting's picky eater articles don't really impress me. Neither did this one since most of it seemed like a raging ad for The Deen Bros. Take It Easy: Quick and Affordable Meals the Whole Family Will Love. That feeling aside, there are a few sandwich recipes that I will try since E already eats the ingredients involved. I wanted to try this one because of the cream cheese on the toast. My goal lately for her breakfast is to have it contain the same amount of protein as an egg, about 6 grams. Since she won't eat eggs, I have my work cut out. This toast almost meets that as long as you use bread that has about 4 to 5 g protein per slice. This is adapted from the recipe from the Deen Bros cookbook mentioned above.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Toast (4 servings)

  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 slices whole wheat bread (the Deen recipe uses white bread)
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese (I used Philly Light)
1. Preheat your broiler.
2. Mix sugar and cinnamon thoroughly. Spread a tablespoon of cream cheese on bread. Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture (I used roughly 2 teaspoons per slice and there was some leftover cinnamon sugar).
3. Place on baking sheet. Heat 4 inches from broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.

Nutrition per slice (will vary slightly depending on type of bread used, and on how much cinnamon sugar is sprinkled on. This breakdown assumes whole wheat bread, and 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar mix, and light cream cheese):  132 cal, 1 g fat, 25 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 5.8 g protein

No comments:

Print button