Monday, March 7, 2011

The Great Chocolate Avocado Pudding Experiment


The runner up - adapted from Have a Namaste blog
Most people do not put avocado and dessert together in a cohesive yummy thought. I once saw Alton Brown do Avocado Icecream on Good Eats. I personally prefer my avocado sliced and sprinkled with a little salt, but he had me convinced it was the best thing one could do to an avocado outside of guacamole. Well, he was wrong in my opinion. I didn't like it, and there was an odd rotten banana taste and smell after it was frozen. Recently someone brought in pudding as a birthday treat at school so E tried it and wanted it that night. No doubt the one tried at school had cow's milk. That same month our favorite alternative milk beverage posted about chocolate avocado icecream. A sign? Maybe so. A Google of chocolate avocado pudding turns up a multitude of recipes. Narrowing those down to dairy free options wasn't too difficult, and I decided on 3 different approaches. The first included silken tofu, chocolate chips, & avocado puree. The result was bleh. I didn't even try it on E.

Lyle's Golden Syrup is my favorite liquid sweetener
The second was simpler. Puree an avocado, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa to taste, then add a liquid sweetener or choice (agave, honey, maple syrup, cane syrup) to sweeten to taste. I also added 2 to 3 tablespoons of So Delicious coconut milk to try to soften it and get a pudding texture. The taste was okay according to my taster, who at least was willing for this experiment. "It's chocolate and it's pudding, so I'll eat it, Mom", she said. She ate about 1/4 cup and did not ask for seconds.

The winning recipe - adapted from a recipe on Dr Oz
We were down to our final recipe, which was left until last because it is a little labor intensive - melting chocolate, beating egg whites, folding gently. It was adapted from a recipe posted on the Dr Oz Show website. It was the hands down winner. It had a rich chocolate taste, a silky texture, and adding in some of that coconut milk beverage converted it from a mousse to more of a pudding. E ate her whole 1/2 cup and asked for seconds. Although the website stated this was healthy and guilt free, I noticed they didn't post any nutrition info for it. Calculating it myself (Living Cookbook 2011), I found out why. If you use the guideline of 6 servings from this recipe, you get per cup of mousse a whopping 432 calories. I think this is fine if all you eat is chocolate pudding. Otherwise, I think it is more prudent to say it has 12 1/2-cup servings.


CHOCOLATE AVOCADO PUDDING (12 1/2-cup servings)
  • 12 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 large Haas avocado (or 2 smaller ones)
  • 1/2 light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey (or other syrup)
  • 1/4 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk beverage (or preferred milk)
  • 6 egg whites
1. Melt the chocolate with the cinnamon in a double boiler over hot water and set aside. You can also melt in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring between each.
2. Puree the avocado, brown sugar, honey, and milk in a food processor until smooth. With the machine running, pour in the chocolate mixture. (Or if your machine doesn't run with the lid off, pour a third of the chocolate mixture in and incorporate. Repeat until all chocolate is added).
3. Using a stand mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Stir about 1/2 cup egg white into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly blended.
4. Now, gently fold the chocolate mixture into the remaining egg whites. Pour the mousse into 12 small serving bowls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or covered overnight. (Alternatively, put the whole thing in one giant bowl, and take out 1/2 cup serving when you crave chocolate pudding).

Nutrition per 1/2-cup:  216 cals, 10.7 g fat, 31.7 g carb, 1.2 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 3.33g protein

Yes, I balked at the fat content, but it is chocolate and avocado. There's going to be fat. The advantage is that it has way more potassium (219 mg), fiber, and other nutrients than a similar amount of store bought pudding.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I don't eat eggs, so I definitely want to try making your runner-up pudding, and I'll use maple syrup as a sweetener. I'm betting I'll love it, as I do all things made with So Delicious coconut milk! Thanks for sharing these recipes and results.

JW said...

Thanks for the comment Christie. The runner up was chocolaty but a little stiffer than pudding. My daughter loves dark chocolate so I think the richer taste of the Dr Oz recipe put it on top for her.

Print button