Friday, March 25, 2011

Homemade jello jigglers (from Week of Green)

Jigglers served at snack time
Yes, I know that the jigglers are a reddish color, but I put green kiwis in there. So it counts. E LOVES these. I have to give initial credit to my friend Stephanie for making homemade jigglers for a playgroup ages ago. It was E's first try of 'jello' but since I have zero memory retention and did not write down the recipe Steph told me, my hazy memory lost its grip on it by the time we got home. Luckily for me, there ws a recipe in one of my cookbooks and I gave it a try but added frozen kiwi to it. (To freeze kiwi simply peel, slice and place on baking sheet in freezer for about 30 minutes.)


Juicy Strawberry Jigglers (adapted from No Whine with Dinner)
Makes 24 Jiggler Squares

1 1/2 cups strawberry kiwi juice, divided
1 cup frozen strawberries (or 1/2 cup each frozen strawberries, frozen kiwi slices)

2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon sugar

In a blender, blend together 1 cup of juice and the frozen fruit until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to break up any frothy bubbles. Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/2 cup juice in a large bowl. Sprinkle the gelatine over the juice and let stand 1 minute. Add the hot juice and stir until the gelatine completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar. Pour the mixture through a strainer (to remove seeds) into an 8 x 8-inch pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. To serve, cut into squares (use an off-set spatula).

Nutrition Information per Serving: 10 calories, 0g fat, 0mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 2g sugar, 1g protein, 10% vitamin C

No comments:

Print button