Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Morningstar Chik'n Nuggets

The theme of Spring Break week was...drum roll....chicken nuggets.
I was trying to get week of red, or week of orange, but H shouted out "Week for chicken at McDonald's!" E modified this to week of chicken nuggets after logically explaining to H that the only good chicken came in nugget form. Great, nothing like the older sibling influencing the younger who has eaten many forms of chicken that were neither breaded nor fried. I would like to add here that the only reason my kids want to goto McDonald's is for the play structure. And we went once over Spring Break. And they had chicken nuggets and rejected the french fries (yay for that!). I took a nibble of one for the first time. I had to see what makes them so appealing. I didn't get it. It was salty, definitely crispier than my oven baked ones have been. And they were gobbled up faster than homemade ever was too. Would I have to throw in the towel? Maybe try a frozen brand? Ugh. Two things that I didn't want to do.

I took them to the grocery store with me the next day because I wanted them involved in every part of this endeavor. I splurged and we got the frozen nuggets shaped like dinosaurs & Morningstar Chik'n nuggets. I didn't think the vegetarian version would win but it did. Nutritionally these have about the same number of calories and a slightly less amount of sodium than the McDonald's nugget. The two things they have going are they are much lower in saturated fat, and have a 4 g fiber. The protein is also about the same.
I am still going to encourage E to eat homemade nuggets, but I know that she takes many more tries than the average kid to accept a new food, and for those evenings when we've had the mad rush and everyone is banging on the table for food, these are preferred over the McDonald's drive-thru. 

No comments:

Print button