Friday, April 8, 2011

Carrots can go in pancakes!

A little something I tried this morning - added some of my carrot puree to my usual pancake recipe. And neither of the kids noticed. I added half a cup, but I bet I can get up to a cup in there. I think because I steamed the carrots then pureed them in my food processor first, it makes them undetectable. And since I have done orange pancakes before (with canned pumpkin), no one was the wiser. 
I don't remember where I got the recipe from - it's handwritten on a piece of paper my recipe folder, but it's the best whole wheat pancake we've tried and liked. 


Carrot Pancakes (makes 14 pancakes)
INGREDIENTS

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ (or 1/4 cup wheat germ & 1/4 cup ground flaxseed)
1/2 cup carrot puree or shredded cooked carrots
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour

DIRECTIONS

1.In a medium bowl, mix eggs with oil and buttermilk. Stir in baking soda, wheat germ, salt, and carrots. Add flour; mix until just blended.
2.Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium to medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides, turning once. (Adjust heat as needed if pancakes are browning too quickly).

No comments:

Print button