Thursday, April 28, 2011

Protein Powder Cookies & "Milk" Tastings

When I first wanted to up the protein in E's diet, I went the route of protein powder. Most of them pack an average of 20 grams of protein in a serving. Whey protein is out due to the dairy allergy, so I bought a spirulina, a soy based powder, and an egg based powder. I tried them plain and lots of gagging ensued by both girls and myself on the spirulina and the soy protein. The Biochem 100% Egg Protein Powder tasted okay but no one was saying "WOW mom, I need to have this again!"

The canisters were pushed to the back of the pantry until we saw an episode of The Fresh Beat Band where smoothies are the cool thing to do. Suddenly they both wanted to try smoothies, so I looked up some recipes that incorporated protein powder, and whipped up a few. All were failures. The kids may just be like me and prefer to eat, not drink their food. I really didn't want to waste the powders, and in my research I found a few recipes for protein bars, protein cookies, protein pancakes. I thought "How monotonous". After all, a great deal of the things I do hide in pancakes and breakfast type cookies. But the kids eat them so I dove in.  I came to the conclusion that protein powder that is not whey-based does not bake or cook well.

In the midst of all this, E decided that it was only proper to have milk with "these really dry cookies". She has not had milk in a long time. She is allergic to cow's, goat's and soy milk. She threw up hemp milk. She at this point (3 years ago) refused to try any other type of milk. On the day that she asked for milk with the cookies, I gave her So Delicious Coconut Milk Original Flavor. This is what H and I drink as we also have a sensitivity to cow's and soy milks. (Oddly, we can eat cheese with no problem). E drank it. Since I had a few other dry cookies to get rid of, I bought the Silk brand coconut milk, and Almond Breeze Original almond milk. The only plus that the Silk brand has going for it is the 45% calcium content. It has 2 different ingredients from the So Dellicious that may affect the taste, which was syrupy sweet with a weird aftertaste. I liked the Almond milk but I was the only one. It is not a 'milky' taste, more nutty and creamy. The winner for the kids and myself was the So Delicious. It tastes the most like milk, and from experience can be substituted directly for regular milk in any recipe with no effect on taste or texture. And for now, we'll stick with regular cookies. :)
 So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage - Original

2 comments:

Medifast Coupon said...

I haven't seen this one in the dairy case? Is it a fairly new flavor by these guys?

JW said...

Medifast - the Silk Coconut flavor is new. So Delicious has been available in upper level/health food stores for almost 2 years now, although the most common flavors I've seen are Vanilla or Unsweetened. About 6 months ago, I found So Delicious Original at Safeway and Kroger (Fred Meyer in the Northwest).

Print button