Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The magic smoothie has arrived!

Smoothies. This food is THE SINGLE most offered piece of food advice I get from other parents as a way to incorporate protein, vegetables, whatever and that kids will drink, no questions asked. "Tell them it's a milkshake", one mom added. And so smoothies have been the bane of my existence for a while. I have tried so many different recipes, and so many times to give them to E that I shelved the smoothie idea after multiple rejections. It wasn't just her either. It was me and H too. We would sip but never went "Yeah BABY! Smoothies rock!"
Then I stumbled on a recipe in Cooking for Two: 2010 for Very Berry Smoothie that uses buttermilk. I love buttermilk. I drink the stuff straight so having it for a smoothie base (and the fact that it was an America's Test Kitchen recipe) had an off the charts yum factor for me. I tried it. I liked it. Now to get the kids to drink it took a little bit of marketing. I put it in special glasses and gave them straws and extolled the joys of this magical elixir. "What's ahluxur mean?" I was asked. "It means it's magic", I replied. Who knew the word magic was all it took?
Here is our magical very berry smoothie recipe:
(This amount made enough to serve the 2 kids and myself a 1-cup serving)
VERY BERRY Smoothie
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
(for a non-dairy substitute we liked So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk - original, a kefir style beverage)
1 1/2 cups frozen berries, or 1 1/2 cups fresh berries and 1/2 cup ice cubes
1 banana, broken into chunks
1 tablespoon sugar (I used honey)
Water, if needed

1. Pour buttermilk into blender, then add the berries (and ice cubes), banana, and sugar. Process on low until mixture is combined but still coarse in texture, about 10 seconds.
2. Increase blender speed to high, and process 20 to 40 seconds until mixture is smooth. Adjust consistency with water if needed. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Print button