Thursday, July 28, 2011

Buckwheat pancake or lefse or tortilla thingies

Lately I've been experimenting with doing oatmeal in the slow cooker. I'm also trying to clear out the pantry of some older grains and found a bag of kasha (also know as buckwheat). Buckwheat is actually not a type of wheat and is gluten free. And although I don't focus on gluten free as much as I used to, I still like to experiment if something looks good so I can pass it along if someone else is interested. I was looking at this bag of kasha and wondering what to do with it. I thought I'd give it a go in the slow cooker (2 cups uncooked kasha in 8 cups water; 6 hours on Low). Not so good. It had the consistency of over-boiled potatoes. I thought too bad it wasn't potatoes, I could make my husband's grandmother's recipe for lefse. LIGHTBULB! Why not try a gluten free kasha version of that? I pushed 3 cups of the kasha through the potato ricer, and wondered what sort of GF glour mix to do. And darn if I wasn't out of xanthan gum (which acts as a stabilizer, and gives some lift and fluffiness to gluten free baking). But I found King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Pancake Mix buried in the back of the pantry. It already has a mix of GF flours, xanthan gum, sugar, and salt added. Hmm. So here's where I went with it:

3 cups kasha pushed through a ricer; add 2 cups GF pancake mix

Combine until it looks like small crumbs. You might have to use your hands.
Then add 1/3 cup milk and mix together until you get a dough consistency. Add a tablespoon
milk at a time if it's too dry until you get the ball of dough. Use any kind of milk or dairy alternative here. I used milk on half, and So Delicious coconut milk on the other. There was no difference in taste or texture.

Take about 1/2 cup size, roll into a ball. Cover a cutting board or smooth surface with plastic wrap.
Place dough ball on top and cover with another sheet of plastic wrap.

The plastic wrap makes rolling out a GF dough easy. Roll it as thin as possible without it cracking.
Move to the side and repeat plastic wrap - dough - wrap - roll, until all the dough is rolled into pancakes.

Place in fridge for about 15 minutes. Chilling will help it separate from the plastic wrap a  little easier and without as much chance of ripping. It is a delicate dough so every tip helps. Heat a skillet over medium heat, brush with a little butter or olive oil. Place pancake in skillet, cook for about 2 minutes, flip and cook for another minute or two.
These were best served immediately. The next day they were a little cardboardy which is why I think refrigerating and then cooking when you want to eat them would work best. The kids liked theirs with a little brown sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on. E even asked for a second one. 

I ate mine spread with some homemade apricot jam, and rolled.  :) 

No comments:

Print button