* 1 1/4 cups cake flour (5 ounces)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
* 5 large eggs at room temperature; 3 separated and 2 whole
* 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
* 2 tablespoons water
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 lbs fresh strawberries, medium or large (about 2 quarts); rinsed, dried, and hulled
* 6 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons of Kirsch (cherry brandy; or do like me and use cognac or rum)
* pinch table salt
* 8 oz cream cheese, softened
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups heavy cream
1. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a round 9x2-inch cake pan (or 9-inch springform pan) and line with parchment paper.
Whisk cake flour, baking powder, salt, and all but 3 tbsp sugar in mixing bowl. Whisk in 2 whole eggs, and 3 egg yolks, melted butter, water and vanilla until smooth.
2. In clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat remaining 3 egg whites at medium-low speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. With machine running, gradually add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar. Increase speed to medium high and beat until soft peaks form, about 60 to 90 seconds. Stir one third of egg whites into batter. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter until no white streaks remain. Pour into prepared pan, and bake 30 to 40 minutes - until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto greased wire rack. Peel off parchment paper. Invert cake again and cool completely before assembling, about 2 hours.