Friday, October 21, 2011

Almond Pumpkin Muffins

Strange things happen in the wee hours of a dark Autumn morning.

The muffin monster

On this particular morning, my 4 year old stumbled in to my room before 6 am for the fourth day in a row. The only problem was she was not willing to lay down and snuggle as usual. She was UP. And she wanted muffins. “Mommy, you haven’t made me muffins in a long time!” Ugh. She was right, but I had a good reason: “Mommy, has a broken arm and it’s hard for me to make goodies right now.” She didn’t buy it. “Momma, you can writed with your broken arm. It’s fixed now, so you can make me muffins.”

She had seen me write the day before. Not that it was easy. Still I found this recipe on Health, Home & Happiness. These muffins were super easy to make, delicious and filling and make for a great weekday breakfast food if you're running late (or lazy). And both my kids gobbled them up! Make them ahead of time and refrigerate.


Almond Flour Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 12


1/4 cup soft butter, ghee, or coconut oil
6 eggs
1 inch ginger root, peeled and grated finely if not using a food processor (FYI, you do not need to peel ginger. I just grate with the skin on. The final product is not affected.)
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups almond flour
1-1/2 cups cooked pumpkin or squash (or 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
1/4 to 1/3 cup honey (I subbed maple syrup)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a food processor or stand mixer, combine butter, eggs, ginger, coconut flour and salt. Blend well, making sure the coconut flour is well mixed in.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Line muffin pan with liners if desired and dot liners with coconut oil or grease muffin pan with coconut oil (Um, why grease if you're using a liner? I skipped this). Fill nearly full with batter and bake for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Print button