|My peach squares got eaten before I took a pic so this was|
borrowed from the Cook's Country website. My apricot squares
were also eaten before I got a photo. These things are GOOD.
All Season Peach Squares
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- Table salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen peaches, partially thawed
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 13 by 9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing excess to overhang pan edges. Spray pan with cooking spray. Process flour, 11/4 cups almonds, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Add butter and pulse mixture until it resembles coarse meal (some pea-sized pieces of butter will remain), about twenty 1-second pulses.
2. Transfer 1/2 cup flour mixture to small bowl and set aside. Press remaining flour mixture firmly and evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, toss remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar with reserved flour mixture. Set aside.
|Pressed in crust|
4. Using fingers, pinch reserved flour mixture to create dime-sized clumps and sprinkle over peaches.
|The cherry version!|