Monday, February 27, 2012

Cross my fingers, knock on wood, grab a lucky clover....

Have you ever realized that you're in a great place in life, and as soon as you utter it out loud, things change?
As silly as it seems, I felt that if I utter this, it will change...I have no recipes to post because I have no woes at the moment with E refusals. She is in a really good place right now with at least trying new foods and I am afraid that if I blog it, this will be over.

Last week she tried a cheese quesadilla thing at her day care. Her caregiver was very excited that she apparently ate 1 1/2 whole quesadillas because she usually refuses it. I looked at the pasty refined white flour tortilla and heaven knows what filling inside, and my stomach actually lurched, and I wished she kept refusing it. Double edged sword. I was glad she ate something new, but not happy about the lack of nutrition. On the plus side, she is eating some of the meals I cook at home too. Last night she tried some vegetarian chili and ate a whole 1/4 cup of it. That seems small but it is so much better than the usual finger dip and lick!
This new level of eating was not quite apparent to me until my husband noticed it. Sometimes I describe my brain as something like that of the Tick. He would get distracted by shiny, silver things. While I wish I could be distracted by that, it is actually my career and life balancing that are distracting me. I am tweaking schedules here and there, and doing my best to see what is best for all of us. So I missed the fact that E was doing so well, but once I realized, my brain suddenly went "ooh!" and I began to wonder what is next? I am sure there will be more eating ruts, but might E be ready for learning about food beyond getting used to textures and smell? And how does one go about teaching that to a child with autism since it can be such a huge gray area?

I believe in allowing oneself moderate portions of everything (except goldfish crackers, which are banned). Explaining to her though that a little bit of this is okay and not too much of that seems to confuse her more than anything. She asked once why one cookie was okay and not two. And what about one cookie with each meal, was that healthy because it was just one cookie? And telling her that one cookie per meal adds up to about 4 a day (including a snack), which is not healthy was enough to tune her out because I mentioned the word "add", and any word associated with mathematics automatically brings a sort of withdrawal on her part.

I suppose the point of this post is that I see a glimmer of hope for her future eating habits, but I am not sure yet how to walk her through the pedantics of nutrition. Then grocery shopping, then cooking for herself......and on and on.

No comments:

Print button