Sunday, May 27, 2012

Making E the A to Z - B is for Banana "caterpillars" and bruschetta

This post is later than expected. E had a raging fever and severe sore throat all week, which does not make for eating much of anything!

We finally got around to our B foods. The first - Banana Caterpillars - is the familiar one. I've made it in the past and it is also easy and great for breakfast or a snack. The second one we tried is Bruschetta. I decided on this since it is similar to pizza but different enough with the use of fresh tomatoes versus a canned sauce.

Banana Caterpillars

Slice one banana. Put a squirt of honey on each slice, and stick them together. Break some pretzels to make legs and add to each side of the banana. Use raisins or chocolate chips for eyes, and stick to one end of caterpillar with a little honey. I have also used Nutella or peanut butter instead of honey. Sometimes I don't use anything between the slices as bananas are usually sticky enough - this usually only happens when the kids wake me up and demand breakfast before I've made coffee! :)



Bruschetta
E did eat one slice, but only after I told her Bruschetta is the Italian version of bread pizza *sigh*. I would say she was ambivalent about this one. She did not ask for seconds, but didn't outright deny it. 

Ingredients: a french baguette, 2 tomatoes (I like the 'on the vine' ones), extra virgin olive oil, a clove of garlic, freshly grated Parmesan cheese (you could use the Kraft grated, but it's a level below fresh stuff)

Slice baguette. Put slices on baking sheet and brush with a little olive oil. 

Most recipes have you dice the tomatoes, but I decided to chop them up with the garlic in my food processor. I wanted something between a puree and salsa. 

Spoon a little of tomato onto each bread slice. Two tomatoes made enough for 18 slices.
Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese.

Broil for about 2 minutes. I went for three, but you can see the bread got a little burnt. Luckily I just had to trim those  edges off before serving it to the kids. 





No comments:

Print button