Monday, May 28, 2012

Making E the A to Z - Corn, cucumbers, cottage cheese

Technically I feel like we already hit C doing the Ants on a Log since neither child had previously eaten celery. E had licked it but never actually chowed it down. There was also the Cauliflower Mac and Cheese. But then that would be lazy of me, and the whole point is to keep pushing forward with new foods and hoping they are liked. So for this week, I offer up corn on the cob, cottage cheese, and cucumbers.

Corn on the cob is a familiar food. I have found that E is more open to trying a new one, if there is a familiar back up.  I buy this mainly in summer because I can't stand the way the ones available year round in the freezer taste, and because most produce bought in its naturally occurring season will taste way better than any other time of year. I keep it simple by boiling 8 cups of water, adding the corn, cooking for 8 minutes.  We have those handy little skewers for the kids to pick it up and eat easily. No butter, no salt. I brush mine with olive oil and sprinkle on pepper, but the girls flip if I embellish theirs.

Cucumbers were new. I peeled the skins and cut them into slices. Were they accepted? Nope. Not the regular kind. I was told the taste was too sour. I then tried the English seedless cucumbers and served them also peeled and sliced more thinly. Those were gobbled by both kids!

English cucumbers were a hit

Ah, cottage cheese. Both E and H literally cringe at the word 'cheese'. Even though it is on pizza and in mac and cheese. What's the difference between that cheese and say a slice of cheddar, or string cheese? It's melted and "it makes it not cheese anymore". Must be a textural thing? So how could I present cottage cheese? Let's face it, it doesn't really look appealing. And kids are visual. They assume that if it looks icky or weird, it will taste that way.
So I gave 2 cups 2% cottage cheese a spin in the food processor mixed with enough (2%)  milk to make it smooth, which was about 1 3/4 cup. Then I added a box of sugar free, fat free vanilla jello pudding mix. This made about 4 cups of pudding. A one cup serving has about 159 calories, 4.9 g fat, 11 g carbohydrate, and a whopping 17 g protein.

Did it get eaten? Yes, so much so that I was asked if I could make chocolate pudding and banana pudding too. Did I tell them it had cottage cheese? Not yet. Yes, a little on the deceptive side, but they eat so few healthy sources of protein that I think this pudding will just have secret ingredients for now. :)



2 comments:

Minnie(@thelady8home) said...

This is such a healthy recipe. Many other combinations can be made. Good one, thanks.

Patricia Woolverton said...

You are so clever! I would never have thought of that. Thank you!

http://aryias.blogspot.com

Print button