|Five pounds of meat go into this recipe!|
|The other ingredients, not including the wine...I might have been sipping it...|
|Draining the diced tomatoes keeps the sauce thick.|
|I used 6 cloves of our homegrown garlic, which is larger-sized and more pungent than the stuff in the grocery store.|
|Chopped onions, minced garlic, tomato paste, olive oil, and oregano after microwaving for 5 minutes.|
- 2 onions, minced (or just chop)
- 1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in country style pork ribs (I couldn't find this so I used the boneless stuff)
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage
- 1 pound hot italian sausage (I went with mild since I was feeding another family and little kids)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Microwave onions, tomato paste, garlic, oil, and oregano in bowl for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through if desired. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir drained, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and wine into slow cooker. Season flank steak, and pork with a little salt and pepper. Nestle all the meat into the slow cooker (no chopping up beforehand, awesome!!)
- Cover and cook 5 to 7 hours on High, or 9 to 11 hours on Low.
- Transfer all the meat to cutting board and let cool slightly. Shred pork and flank steak into bite-size pieces. Discard excess fat.
- Slice sausages. (I used bulk mild italian sausage since I could not find the links, so I crumbled it before putting it into the slow cooker).
- Let sauce settle for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove fat from surface with spoon. Using folded paper towels will also soak up a lot.
- Stir shredded meat and sausages into sauce and let sit 5 minutes. Before serving, add salt and pepper if desired (I did not find it needed it). Stir in basil.