Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blog for Mental Health Challenge 2013



1.) Take the pledge by copying and pasting the following into a post featuring “Blog for Mental Health 2013″.
I pledge my commitment to the Blog For Mental Health 2013 Project.  I will blog about mental health topics not only for myself, but for others.  By displaying this badge, I show my pride, dedication, and acceptance for mental health.  I use this to promote mental health education in the struggle to erase stigma.
2.) Link back to the person who pledged you.
You can consider this an open pledge. I first read about this at MealTime Hostage and Canvas of the Minds.
3.) Write a short biography of your mental health, and what this means to you.
I have a high-functioning autistic daughter who has always had eating issues. Before she came along, I never would have thought that the simple, basic act of eating - or in her case, not eating - would affect my mental state in any way. I have always been adventurous in eating and cooking. I have always LOVED and SAVORED my food and the enjoyment others got from sharing meals with me. To suddenly have a resistant eater who ate 3 or 4 foods from the time she was 9 months old until we finally diagnosed her at 3 1/2 drove me into depression, anger, and hopelessness many times. And when we began occupational therapy for her sensory issues, I was horrified and riddled with guilt over how many of the wrong things I did. I forced, I yelled, I was not encouraging. My blog posts are generally about strategies that work or don't, little successes...and how they make me feel. I always say that my blogging was a way to keep track of the foods my daughter has tried and has added to her menu, but the posts are almost always infiltrated by how her reaction made me feel. And over time, I have to lessen the impact of her eating on my mental health. That is my goal with this challenge. 
4.) Pledge five others, and be sure to let them know!
I don't think I actually know five bloggers, but I am pledging the ones I do know! 
As mentioned above, if you happen upon this without being pledged, feel free to take the pledge!  Promote awareness!
5.) Join the official blogroll for Blog for Mental Health 2013.
Canvas does not keep an official blogroll, outside of links to our authors’ personal blogs.  For something new and special to introduce Blog For Mental Health 2013, and really build a sense of community — and show everyone how many of us there are, and how strong we are, coming together — we are launching a Blog For Mental Health 2013 Official Blogroll!  So, in addition to linking back to the person who pledged you, please include the link to this original post in your piece.  As this gets passed along, link back or click here and leave a comment containing the link to your pledge, and we will put you on our Blog For Mental Health 2013 Official Blogroll page!  Show the world our strength, show them our solidarity, show them what we are made of.  Take the Blog for Mental Health pledge and proudly display the badge on your blog!
And may we all have a happy, healthy 2013!

1 comment:

Ruby Tuesday said...

Janine, you are an excellent example of how you don't need to be carrying around a truckload of diagnoses to understand the impact things in your life can have on your mental health. And also an example of what parents and other caregivers go through themselves, something that is so often unrecognized.

Thank you for participating in this campaign to raise awareness!

Print button